Naperville Personal Injury Lawyer

This content is also available in: img-4Español

When you have been injured in any type of accident in Naperville, Illinois, your primary focus should be on your recovery. Unfortunately, recovering often requires hospitalization, doctor visits, time away from work, and other expenses.

If the accident that left you injured was another person’s fault, you shouldn’t have to shoulder the financial burden of your recovery. You deserve compensation for the suffering the injuries have caused you.

Luckily, you can pursue the compensation you need to recover by filing a personal injury claim. Although you must prove that another person’s negligence caused your injuries, however, with strong legal representation, this shouldn't be an issue.

Naperville personal injury lawyer Chris Ktenas

A Naperville personal injury lawyer at our firm, can help you identify the at-fault parties, value your claim, and pursue the compensation you deserve. Call our law firm today at (312) 300-2515, or chat with us online for a free initial consultation.

When Should You Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer?

Most personal injury victims are initially reluctant to seek legal help after an accident. If you were involved in a minor fender bender with another vehicle and you didn’t sustain any injuries, you can handle the accident without help. You can deal with the insurance company on your own and get your car repaired.

However, if you were severely injured or the at-fault party’s insurance company is disputing your claim, consult with an experienced attorney. A car accident attorney can help you understand your legal options, so you can make well-informed decisions.

Most accident victims aren’t familiar with the personal injury claim process. However, insurance companies settle injury claims frequently and are skilled negotiators. Having a knowledgeable lawyer by your side can protect your rights. An experienced personal injury lawyer can offer a perspective on the value of your claim and prevent the insurance adjuster from taking advantage of you.

an injury lawyer looking over a claim for a new client

You shouldn’t pay medical bills for injuries caused by someone else’s negligence and recklessness. Failing to seek legal help after a serious accident can cost you time and money.

The earlier you have an experienced lawyer investigating your claim, the earlier you can focus on your recovery journey.

If your injuries were from medical malpractice or because of a dangerous or defective medical product, expect to be confronted with a team of attorneys fiercely defending their clients and their actions. They might not admit what happened, leaving you with unanswered questions.

They’ll attempt to dispute your credibility and prevent you from getting information about your case while using legal proceedings to delay the settlement of your case. In these kinds of situations, it’s essential to seek legal representation to defend your rights and interests.

A thorough investigation is essential to proving how your injuries occurred and who is to blame. Unfortunately, police departments and insurers have limited time and resources to investigate your claim. Luckily, a knowledgeable lawyer can help you investigate the accident and reconstruct how it happened. An attorney can subpoena witnesses, get video surveillance footage, and uncover hidden evidence crucial to building a solid case.

How Is an Injury Settlement Paid Out?

Typically, compensation for personal injury claims is paid out either as a single lump sum or as a series of periodic payments in the form of a structured settlement. Structured payment annuities are tailored to meet one’s needs, but once agreed upon, the terms can’t be changed.

Sometimes, personal injury lawsuits don’t make it to trial. Instead, the plaintiff and the defendant negotiate the settlement as a lump sum or a structured settlement, where the injured party receives monthly payments for a specified period of time. However, before you agree to a structured settlement, you must discuss your payout options and the full terms of the contract with an experienced personal injury attorney or a financial advisor.

How Do You Prove a Personal Injury Lawsuit?

There’s nothing as vital to maximizing a personal injury settlement as acting quickly after the accident. Although you must first recover enough from the injuries to have the physical ability to start the legal process, as soon as possible, you must hire an attorney and get to work. This is essential because there are strict time limits in Illinois that you must adhere to if you wish to lodge a successful personal injury claim against the at-fault party.

It’s crucial to move quickly to file your personal injury claim, however, take your time to find the right personal injury lawyer to represent you in court. Your lawyer should have real experience dealing with similar cases. Before you work with your personal injury lawyer, demand a free initial consultation.

Also, your attorney should work on contingency, which means they only get paid once they recover your compensation. This motivates your attorney to defend you fiercely and get you the compensation you deserve.

To beat your personal injury lawsuit, document everything. Ultimately, your case will fail if there’s insufficient evidence to prove your claims. Thus, all personal injury victims must document everything that could support their claims. All plaintiffs must have the following records ready for the court:

  • Medical records and reports
  • Medical expenses receipts
  • Police reports
  • Witness statements
  • Policies and regulations, if the lawsuit involves a workplace injury.

This is a ton of paperwork, and a skilled lawyer can help you get some or all the documents.

a gavel and injury law books on a desk

Personal injury settlements take time, so don’t cash in too early. The at-fault party and their insurance company know that you’re likely strapped for cash and might accept a less-than-ideal settlement. Thus, they’ll offer a lowball amount as their first settlement.

Insurance companies are unlikely to know the specific details related to your lawsuit in particular. They’ll determine their offer based on a formula of what they think you should get. So, it’s crucial to be patient during these negotiations. If you can hold out for a better offer, you’re more likely to receive more money, especially if you have a strong case.

Another way to beat your personal injury case is to avoid dealing with the at-fault party and their insurance company directly. Insurance companies are clever in how they handle these lawsuits, and they'll do everything to settle with you personally one-on-one.

The insurance company doesn’t have your best interests in mind, all they want is to settle your case quickly for as little money as possible. If an insurance adjuster contacts you, don’t speak with them, tell them to contact your Chicago personal injury lawyer. Don’t speak with an insurance company until you have spoken with an attorney first.

What is Considered a Good Settlement for an Injury Claim?

Sometimes, people determine a good settlement based on whether both parties walked away satisfied. Often, this means that the at-fault party paid more than they desired, and the settlement wasn’t as much as the injured party wanted. There are many factors to consider when you’re considering accepting a settlement offer. If you can get close to the value of your lawsuit, then you can assume that the offer is good.

One of the most crucial factors you and your attorney should consider is the possibility of prevailing when it comes to liability. If the at-fault party is definitely to blame for your injuries, your settlement offer shouldn’t be reduced because of the risk of losing your case. If you only have a 70% chance of winning based on liability, consider taking 30% less money in a settlement.

However, there are cases where it’s unclear who is at fault. In personal injury lawsuits, the blame may not rest on one party. This means several parties may be responsible for your injuries or pain and suffering. If your case involves several entities, your settlement offer must account for the fault of each party connected to your personal injuries.

However, if you’re in any way responsible for the accident, this must be factored into your settlement deal. If the fault of all entities involved, including you as the injured party is around 80%, then the defendants should offer you about 80% of damages for your settlement.

For severe personal injury lawsuits, it’s best to consult a personal injury attorney before accepting a settlement offer.

Contact Our Experienced Naperville Personal Injury Lawyers Today!

At Ktenas Injury Lawyers, our experienced Naperville personal injury lawyers understand the complexities involved with personal injury lawsuits and the importance of presenting enough supporting evidence. We will work with you to compile the evidence and we’ll consult with medical experts when necessary so we can effectively pursue your compensation claim.

Our Chicago injury firm is dedicated to getting clients the most favorable outcome. Contact us today at (312) 300-2515, or chat with us online to see how we can help.