Car accidents are unexpected events that have the potential to impact the rest of your life. You could be left with major financial burdens, permanent disabilities or disfigurement, or severe mental trauma following a serious auto accident. Situations like this call for the help of an expert to guide you through the right steps toward receiving compensation for the damages you have suffered. If you have been involved in a car accident, the right time to get a lawyer is as soon as possible.
An auto accident injury lawyer from Chicago Car Accident Lawyers can help you understand your legal options following a car accident. Our expertise and knowledge can be the difference between you getting the maximum compensation from your claims process and settling for an unfair offer from the at-fault driver's insurance company.
You can easily find yourself having a difficult time keeping up with your case as well as looking after your health following a serious car accident. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and let us show you how we'll be able to handle your personal injury claim while you focus on your recovery.
Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident
Car accidents are stressful situations that typically involve high emotions. You should take every effort to remain calm and think in the moments following your collision. This can mean all the difference between receiving the compensation you are entitled to and being wrongfully assigned blame for the motor vehicle accident. Common mistakes in the aftermath of an accident include:
- Admitting Guilt: Emotions will run high immediately after a car accident. Some drivers will react with aggression and anger which could prompt you to apologize in an effort to calm them down. This can be a serious misstep for you. Always check on the other driver and ensure that anyone involved in the accident is okay, but be careful not to say anything that can be interpreted as an admission of guilt. It could come back to bite you later.
- Leaving the Accident Scene Without Collecting Evidence: The more evidence you have supporting your claims the better. Once you leave the scene you will also lose access to a wide range of information that could help you with your insurance claim. Before you leave you should be sure to take pictures of the scene (including any important factors such as skid marks, stop lights, etc.), collect brief statements and contact information from any witnesses, and request a copy of the police report.
- Not Getting Medical Treatment: Even if you feel fine following your accident you should schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. Your adrenaline will be high immediately following your accident and it is common for injuries to manifest or worsen as time goes on, in some cases even taking weeks to become clear. If you accept an offer from the insurance company before discovering an injury caused by the accident you will almost certainly receive no further compensation to help with your medical costs.
- Accepting a Settlement Offer Too Quickly: Insurance carriers will often reach out to car accident victims very quickly after the crash to offer lowball settlements in the hopes of pressuring them to accept less money than they are likely entitled to. Accepting this offer without carefully reviewing it can leave you paying for vehicle repairs and medical expenses out of pocket. Be sure to have an attorney look the offer over before moving forward with it.
- Waiting to Hire an Attorney: Expenses tend to add up quickly after a car accident. Insurance companies try to close the case as quickly and cheaply as possible, medical bills can begin piling up, and lost wages can add up to leave you in a desperate financial situation. And all the while the case moves forward and leaves you further behind as witnesses begin to forget important details, evidence fades at the accident scene, and other parties build their cases. Hire an attorney as quickly as possible after your accident to prevent all this. They will act quickly to file your claim, negotiate with insurance companies, and build the strongest case possible based on the unique factors of your accident.
Related Content: Illinois Car Accident Statistics
When Should You Hire a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
If you have received injuries or experienced any property damage in a car accident you should hire a qualified car accident lawyer as soon as you can. Car accidents are stressful times and the aftermath can pile on more difficulties. An attorney with extensive experience in car accident law will be able to look through the details of your case and help you determine the best options moving forward to get a fair settlement from your situation.
You will likely be overwhelmed dealing with the aftermath of a car accident. Consequences of a serious crash can include permanent injuries that require ongoing medical attention, severe property damage that will be costly to repair or replace, mental trauma that can keep prevent you from feeling safe getting back behind the wheel, and lost wages from time away from work while you recover. While all this takes place you will be expected to deal with an insurance company that will do everything it can to avoid paying you what you deserve.
By hiring an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible after your crash, you will have fewer of these issues to deal with. Your personal injury lawyer will know the process of getting a fair accident settlement from auto insurance companies and can take on the task on your behalf while you focus on getting better and returning to your life as best you can. The sooner you hire them to work your case, the more effective they will be at getting you fair financial compensation. Act quickly to find an experienced car accident lawyer to file claims for damages after your accident.
Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
If you have never taken legal action against another party following a car accident, chances are that you won't even know where to begin. The stress of the situation, in addition to you treading unfamiliar ground, stacks the odds against you making much headway with your personal injury lawsuit. You will certainly face significant amounts of paperwork, all set against deadlines you are unlikely to know while receiving bad faith offers from insurance companies looking to close the case quickly. And you will have to take on this task while dealing with the physical, emotional, and financial consequences of your accident.
Working with an experienced personal injury attorney will allow you to level the playing field. They know the usual tricks from insurance companies, are familiar with the deadlines you will face after a car accident, and can help you decide on the best course of action for your case using state and local laws you may not have even been aware existed. A knowledgeable auto accident attorney will save you time and not only prevent you from accepting a low-ball settlement offer but will be able to leverage their experience into getting you more in compensation for your damages.
FAQ: How long do you have to make a claim after a car accident in Chicago?
Studies have demonstrated that accident victims with legal representation have been able to receive compensation of as much as 3.5 times more than those without. Experienced lawyers will allow you to focus your attention on your recovery while saving you time and getting you more money following your accident.
Review Your Car Accident Claim With Our Firm
Medical bills from accident injuries can stack up with the costs of property damage and lost wages to quickly put you in dire financial straits. You deserve fair compensation to cover these costs, but determining that value (and successfully getting it from an insurance settlement) can be extremely difficult. Keep in mind that it isn't you against the at-fault driver, but rather you against their insurance provider following a car accident. This immediately places you at a serious disadvantage as they will have a dedicated legal team with experience in handling these types of insurance claims. You will need the help of an experienced attorney to balance the situation out.
At Chicago Car Accident Lawyers, we have extensive experience negotiating with insurance companies and with taking accident lawsuits to trial for our clients. Our dedicated legal team will fight on your behalf to ensure you get the maximum compensation for your situation, allowing you to focus on your physical recovery following your accident. Contact one of our talented car accident injury lawyers today to schedule a free initial consultation for your case.